Friday, February 12, 2016

Convention Spotlight: Wizard World Tulsa - Day Three

Day Three – October 25, 2015

On the last day of Wizard World Tulsa I actually got to the convention kind of early, partly because I was terrified I would sleep past my check-out time at the hotel so I woke up super early and grabbed breakfast downtown. Afterwards I walked around to see more of the city until the convention started. Downtown Tulsa is very walkable.


(All photos are my own.  Please let me know if you'd like to be credited as one of the below cosplayers.  Thanks)

On Saturday I kind of broke down and bought more stuff than I was originally planning to.  I bought a Deathly Hallows necklace after eyeing them several times at Gillygoods Emporium.  By Sunday, I was all in, like a gambler with an addiction.  I didn’t go buck-wild but I did get a very cute Game of Thrones meets Pokemon t-shirt from Tee Turtle, a Black Panther t-shirt because he is my favorite Avenger, and a Dumbledore Funko Pop figurine.  I know, I know….stuff I didn’t need but it was there….and I was there so….enough said.


While I was buying I did come across some of my favorite cosplayers of the whole con.  I mean c’mon! These ladies of all ages were just killing it.  The teen cosplaying as Ramona Flowers from Scott Pilgrim was so shy and sweet, her mom so excited I was asking for a photo.  I mean, this is what fandom is all about, right?





Around noon I headed back to the assembly hall to see “Behind the Voice with Nintendo’s Charles Martinet”, I figured it would be good way to take a seat, chill a bit and wait for the coffee I had to kick in.  What I didn’t expect was Charles’s boundless enthusiasm and positivity.  Charles is the voice of Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi, in every version of the Mario Nintendo games.  Charles is so super likeable and upbeat, he answered audience questions and championed the idea of doing what you love, because then you’ll never work a day in your life.  He made this jaded little 32 year old heart of mine grow in size because it’s never too late to pursue what you love, and you never know where opportunities will arise.



The last panel I sat in on was “Diversity in Comics; Illegal Alien Icons” with DC writer and university professor Jai Nitz talked about Mexican representation in the DC Comics world.  This was one of my favorite panels because it felt like Jai was talking directly to me.  Jai is bi-racial, white father and Hispanic mother, just like me!  Jai looks completely Caucasian, just like me and his family can be traced in Texas, by way of Mexico, by way of Spain, just like mine.  So when he traced the appearance of Hispanic characters like El Dorado, Vibe, and the recent Jaime Reyes version of Blue Beetle, I was like, “man this guy is in my head”.  I love Blue Beetle because it takes place in El Paso, TX where all my family is from. 

Jai wrote and updated the originally white character El Diablo into a Mexican character for DC Comics and now has seen that character reach mainstream through both the DC Lego game and also the upcoming Suicide Squad movie. 


I really have to commend Wizard World for hosting panels that address the growing need for representation and gender equality in our fandoms.  Sometimes I feel conventions are just sort of fluff entertainment and nothing of real consequence, so I was ecstatic to see Wizard World Tulsa address real life issues that I think about constantly.

Shortly after, I then sat in on Kids Costume Contest as the last part of my day before heading back home and yes, I’m female so I did “awwww” at all the teeny tiny Vaders, Links, and Buffy the Vampire Slayers but I was insanely proud of the girl dressed as Leonardo with her pigtails whipping back and forth.  Girl, don’t let anyone hold you back in being whoever you want to be. 










Supporting each other, letting our mutual love of our heroes propel us even further in better people, and teaching a new generation in believing in themselves and giving them to the confidence to be whatever they want to be. This is what fandom is all about. 






0 comments:

Post a Comment