Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Height of Luxury – Pizza and Sushi


One day last week I treated myself to lunch at Central Market’s indoor café.  Central Market is an upscale grocery store similar to Whole Foods.  You can get fancy bread, fancy wines, fancy cheese, fancy to-go meals, fancy cooked to order meals and you can sit down for lunch or dinner in there indoor café.


I don’t even remember what I had for lunch.  All I remember is a young mom and her 5 year old red-haired daughter at nearby table with sushi and full size pizza.
Sushi and pizza.  Pizza and sushi.

Hot damn.  That is the life, people.  This is the height of luxury.


Personal size sushi trays at Central Market is starts at $10 and goes upward of $15.  Pizzas you can get cooked to order and start at a minimum of $10 as well.  Who has the luxury of dropping $20 - $30 on lunch?  Who decides to pair sushi and pizza together?

I’ve eaten a lot of things in my day.  Chicken feet, tripe in menudo, roasted bone marrow…..I ain’t afraid.  But I have yet to one day decide; pizza AND sushi?  Sounds great!  Pizza and sushi couldn’t be more different than one another.

One is meal you treat yourself to when you are still committed to staying healthy.  Even if you get the sushi with the fried tempura or cream cheese in the middle.  I mean you are still eating to some degree fish, rice and seaweed.  Healthy shit.  The young, skinny, and wealthy swear by sushi.  You can indulge but still stay lean.

Pizza is the exact opposite.

When you eat pizza you gotta forget about your waistline.  You just have to enjoy the hell of all that gooey cheese, crunchy crust and greasy pepperoni. 


I can’t even begin to imagine the circumstances that lead to this.  Presumably the mom wanted the sushi and the pizza was to split between her little girl and maybe the girl’s father?  Who can know?

All I know is, this is now my new life’s goal.  To eat pizza and sushi in one sitting.  To enjoy the height of luxury in this new manner.

Pizza and sushi for life!


3 comments:

  1. Haha, that is a weird combination! I always find that sushi can be quite filling (probably all the rice) and although I like it a lot, it would always lose to pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? They are delicious by themselves but I have never thought to eat both at the same time.

      Delete